Saturday, August 4, 2007

Genuinely Happy with Mac, Wean Off Windows Continues

I just wanted to make a quick post to say it has been only a couple of weeks since I started using a Mac (iBook 600MHZ 256 SDRAM OS X 10.4.10) and I am really pleased with the overall performance of both the hardware and software, despite the obvious aging of the system.

I have grown accustom to using the Apple (command) key to control a number of the functions the CTRL key does for Windows. Initially, that was the annoying thing trying to navigate the operating system and mainly Safari.

As for Safari, it has been a very stable and rather fast browser. I am a big fan of Firefox and although I haven't added anything to Safari, have to say there's not much difference. Obviously, as I spend more time on the Mac, I have to figure out had to add some of those important add-ons/extensions that enhance the browser for crashed session recovery, advanced copy-paste capability and some Japanese language reader tools.

I hope to spend some more time exploring the operating system. So far I like the dashboard feature and want to update it and use it more.

I'm pretty surprised how nice OS X 10.4 is, considering there's still such a large portion of computer users who are stuck on Microsoft Windows 100% of the time, and don't get to enjoy the already available features, which are only available to Windows users now who update to Vista; clearly something I'm not interested in with 3 Windows machines, given the notorious difficulty with device drivers.

No comments: